Rev. Frederick M. Gray (1879-1886)

The first headmaster of Holderness, Rev. Gray accepted the challenge of beginning a school in 1879 with only one teaching assistant.
The first headmaster of Holderness, Rev. Gray accepted the challenge of beginning a school in 1879 with only one teaching assistant. During his tenure, Gray oversaw the growth of the school to a point where expansions needed to be made to Livermore Mansion, the main school building. The renovations were short lived however, as the mansion burned to the ground in 1882.

Determined that this would not be the end of Holderness, Gray saw to it that what would become Knowlton Hall was constructed in a mere eight weeks. During his time at Holderness, Rev. Gray also saw the construction of the Schoolhouse and the Chapel of the Holy Cross. Gray retired in 1886, but stayed on as a board member until 1890.
Back
Holderness School
33 Chapel Lane, Holderness NH, 03245
mail P.O Box 1879 Plymouth, NH 03264-1879
phone (603) 536-1257