Rev. Weld arrived in the fall of 1931, and after only a month at Holderness, was faced with crisis.
Rev. Weld arrived in the fall of 1931, and after only a month at Holderness, was faced with crisis. One of the oldest buildings on campus and the sole residential hall, Knowlton Hall, had burned to the ground. After only a week however, with considerable help from the board of trustees and the residents of the town of Plymouth, Holderness was re–opened.
After this fire, Rev. Weld saw an opportunity to rebuild. The new campus would be able to accommodate 100 students, and every student would be required to help out around campus. Thus, the Job Program was born. Clubs and student organizations flourished under Rev Weld, as did a student government that placed the leadership of the school largely in the hands of the students. Over the course of a twenty–year tenure, Rev. Weld inspired faith, perseverance, and generosity in countless students, and a large part of what Holderness is today is attributed to him.